Thursday, April 12, 2018

Week #91 Portsmouth

    Preparation day got changed again this week due to us having Zone
Conference tomorrow and then President Nelson and Elder Holland's
broadcast on Thursday!! Way excited for both of these meetings! The UK has the
special opportunity to here from the Prophet again and one of the
Apostles which is way cool!!
    Portsmouth is doing really well and I'm happy to be here and just
get to work. We found 10 new friends last week which was way good for
this area because it hasn't been done in a long time! Elder Hess
and I have the attitude that the Lord will bless us and this area with
three baptisms before June so we are doing all we can to make that
happen with the Lords help! We've had some pretty cool things
happen this week and the first one was we had interviews with
President and Sister Gubler even though I just had mine in Bristol two
weeks ago, haha. Also, at stake conference an area 70 from York
came and spoke. Something that stood out to me while he was talking was  if you
want to increase faith you need to increase obedience. I loved that!!
In missionary work that is very applicable but also just in everyday life.
Follow commandments, receive blessings and your faith will increase.
    Like I said last week we had no one to teach, we spent all of our time finding!
We were so blessed to find a bunch of new friends and it has all changed real quick.
When we arrived here in Portsmouth we had a member text us, who we haven't
even met yet, to let us know she had a referral for us! We called this guy named
Devon and he's way keen to meet up with us. So last night we met with him and
taught him the first lesson. The spirit was so strong  I could feel he wanted to
really know the truth!! He also told us how last night he was thinking
about meeting with us and he felt this overwhelming feeling that
brought him a lot of peace and love inside. Of coarse, I explained how that was
the Holy Ghost and how he could have those feelings with him always through baptism.
He’s now on date!! Good lass for sure but we just need to stay on top
of it because he has a lot of questions and is also busy trying to
join the Marines! Pray for Devon!
    We also found this couple from Poland while contacting in the city
center which was way cool!! We talked about life and how it gets tough
at times and we found out that the bloke lost his job and is struggling
to find work! We testified of God bringing blessings and helping
us in times of need but he wasn't keen until the girl he was with said, "Now we're
meeting up and talking to you guys because I want to know if there
is a God and how he can help me!"  Haha, bold lady from Poland... I love it. So
they're both meeting with us on Friday evening to learn more!
    But yeah this is a good area for sure... right on the coast with
tons of people and places to visit so it makes contacting pretty fun!!
I've learned after being out on a mission for a long time that some things in missionary
work are just that, work!  Planning and meetings become so much a part of what we
do but the one thing I will never get sick of is having the opportunity to testifying
of Jesus Christ to everyone I meet and then following through 
by teaching them about peace and happiness!! When I left Bristol I went
and said goodbye to my brother Henry who chose to be baptized and he just kept
saying to me thank you, thank you for teaching me and finding me. That is
what makes the entire 2 years worth it even when it gets hard at times!
    I've been reading the general conference talks again which has
been really nice and I loved Elder Oaks talk about small and simple things!
He talks about how small and simple things in life will bring forth great things.
Reading and praying everyday with real intent, coming to church and
worthily partaking of the Sacrament, participating in institute and
seminary are the small and simple things we can do every day. I know
great things will come forth in our lives as I've prayed and read the
scriptures everyday on my mission it has changed me so much for the good!
Each day the spirit grows stronger and stronger within me and is more and
more present  in my life because of the small and simple things.
I know that Jesus Christ lives and that this is his eternal work.
I love being apart of it(: love ya


-ELDER MCSPADDEN


No comments:

Post a Comment